We found an article about “Pay-for-Play in Radio Stations” on Billboard.com. You can also see this on our social media.
We have been denouncing this approach since Battl Victory Records existed and are committed to more fairness. We fight this “pay-for-play” system.
Unfortunately, thanks to the major labels, this system has spread from America to most countries in the world.
The most famous example is EMINEM. Nobody wanted to play a white rapper on the radio. After a long back and forth, the decision was made to simply buy broadcasting minutes and thus pay for the radio stations. Everything else is history. Sad isn’t it?
So here are a few tips from us on how you can support your favorite artists properly:
1. Mouth to Mouth Marketing:
- try to talk about your favorite artists as often as possible or play them to other people. Mouth-to-mouth marketing is one of the most powerful marketing tools out there!
2. Social Media:
- Share the posts and stories as often as possible
- Saves the posts, likes and comments
- Invite new friends as much as possible (or share the page, also in groups)
- You can achieve a very good reach, especially in TikTok, by using the music from the library and tagging your artist
3. Streaming & download portals:
- Stream your favorite artists as often as possible on a continuous loop (also through the night if you sleep anyway)
- shares the profiles and likes them
- Downloaded the songs
- Buy the merchandise from official places like our online store (we do not work with any retailer)
- Show your merchandise as often as possible
This brings your favorite artists a little bit closer to really making a living from it. So they also have the chance to get into the charts! Every stream, download, merchandise sale counts!
But all this is no guarantee that your favorite artists will also be on the radio. So here are some easy tips that anyone can use:
- Get together in groups and call the radio stations daily and ask for one of the artist’s songs
- Writes e-mails to the stations
- Call on social media within the groups to join you and the artist
- Wish for your favorite artist wherever possible
Soon the radio stations will play your artist and make you happy too!
In the independent sector we all have to stick together and that’s the only way we can do it!